C. Myles Young Rock Church Sacramento,CA E Group NO LIMITS Apostolic Preaching WPF

Musings of the Minstrel

Thursday, December 10, 2009

TO TRY MEN'S SOULS - C Myles Young

To Try Men's Souls by Newt Gingrich - www.mylesyoung.comSo what have you been reading? They say (whoever they are) that we will be the same people 10 years from now that we are today except for the people we meet, the places we go and the books we read. People, places and books change us! I love to read and as a result I come across some pretty interesting books but ever once in a while there is a book that knocks my socks off. The latest one to do this to me is "To Try Men's Souls" by Newt Gingrich. Yes, the very same political figure with strong opinions. I don't know a whole lot about his political agenda but I will tell you, the man can "sho nuff" write a good historical novel. I was so impressed by this book. He tells the incredible story of the Battle of Trenton through the eyes of George Washington, Thomas Paine and a fictitious young boy caught in the storm of the American Revolution. This book moved me to tears at one point. I could not put it down. The Battle of Trenton was a strategic struggle in the fight for independence, but sadly few of our citizen's have ever even heard the story. I highly recommend this book, especially right now in this Holiday season. The Battle of Trenton took place on that cold December 25th, morning of 1776. As you read this novel you will inspired to take a stand as Gingrich moves his characters through the long wintery night of struggle and pain toward that great hope of liberty. If you are looking to give someone a gift that will be a blessing, then go pick up "To Try Men's Souls".

Happy reading and Merry Christmas!

Labels: , , , , , ,